As you may have gathered, my overall wellness has been weighing heavily on my mind lately. That’s mostly because I have very little wellness in my life these days and I really want to change that. So, I’m changing it. *nudge nudge* – see? change? it’s a theme in my life.
I am very fortunate in that my workplace offers several different wellness programs that are available free of charge to employees. I simply couldn’t squander an opportunity like that. So, I signed up for three programs. The first one is a program called “12 Weeks to Wellness”, the second is one-on-one work with a dietician, the third on is called “Mindful Meditation”. So far, the Mindful Meditation one is a bust because the counsellor is a flake BUT the other two are awesome. So 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
This is the first time I’ve really tried any programs like these so I wanted to document my progress and I figured here would be just as good a place as any. My program will run from Feb 22 – May 16. It’s fantastic timing because for me, Spring is a time of renewal, rejuvenation and life.
So let’s take stock of where I am today. I got my blood panel done today, waiting on results for that. I struggle to find the energy to just manage day-to-day life, my weight and diet need a complete overall. I feel completely overwhelmed and at odds with myself. I know that my emotional health, physical health, mental health and spiritual health all need to be worked on and I’m finally, finally taking the steps to do so.
This week’s chapter is called “Creating a Healthy Lifestyle for Weight Loss and Wellness”. I like to add a bit to that and say “Creating a Healthy Lifestyle and Environment for Weight Loss and Wellness”. I added the “Environment” because it’s something we tend to overlook. Our surroundings, the things we hold on to, our habits; all of those things contribute to our day-to-day health. So, I have taken these steps to make a healthier environment for myself:
- I wrote a reminder to myself on my bathroom mirror to remind myself of why I’m embarking on this journey, what I’m committing to and why it’s important.
- I deleted a ton of old facebook messages, blog posts, emails, letters, etc that were written to people that are no longer in my life. I will likely re-write these as part of this wellness plan but I want them to come from a different place in my heart.
- I have shared my plan and journey with friends and family around me and that I know will support me.
- I have quit smoking (again). Today is Day 10 with no cigarettes.
- I have reached out for help (outlined above).
I have started down the road to healthier living in the past but have never really stuck to it. I think that’s because I wasn’t truly doing it for me. I wasn’t ready. I am ready now. I am ready to take control of my life, let go of what’s burdening me, and give myself permission to live the best life for me. I’ll try to blog each week about how it’s going, where I’m at and what I’m facing/ achieving and struggling with.
So…without further ado…let’s do this!